Sunday, April 22, 2012

Russian Iced Tea

This is another Jodi recipe, and I drank a lot of this stuff on my recent visit to Seattle.  This is a drink Jodi remembers from her childhood, but could never quite reproduce on her own, until she was at a bake sale at a local Russian Orthodox church, where the mixture was being sold.  She tasted, she thought about it, and now she has successfully recreated it at home.

Here is the recipe.

Russian Iced Tea

2 parts Tang
1 part sweetened lemon instant tea
1 part unsweetened non-lemon instant tea
1 part super fine sugar
ground cloves (Jodi says "not sure what a ratio here would be, I think I used about a teaspoon in a giant batch")
This is really delicious and the cloves really make the flavour unique and outstanding.  I also love burnt orange colour of the drink.  I'm not sure how I'll replicate this at home without access to unsweetened iced tea powder, which is something I've never seen before.  But I wonder if I could brew regular black tea and add the rest of the stuff into it to get a similar result.  Summer is around the corner and I am looking forward to experimenting!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin