Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Brunch at White Spot

Saturday was the first nice day that fell on a weekend in a long time, so my roommate and I decided to go for a hike.  But we wanted to eat first and opted to go to one of our go-to places for cheap but cheerful food: White Spot.

I have said here before that I love White Spot.  They do great burgers and milkshakes and they do a decent Eggs Benny.  Since it was brunch and I wanted something hearty, I went directly to the brunch menu, pretty sure that I would order the Eggs Benny.  But then something caught my eye: the Santa Fe Breakfast Burrito.  The menu indicated that this was a new item, and here is how it's described on the menu and web site:

Your choice of fresh chicken breast or tender Canadian pulled pork, scrambled Omega 3 eggs, cheese, sautéed tomatoes and green peppers wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Served with our trio of sauces – avocado salsa, tomato salsa, cilantro sour cream and red nugget Smashbrowns™.

You know what, I said to myself, let's try something different for once!  So I ordered the burrito and waited with anticipation.

When my plate came, I was underwhelmed by the appearance of the burrito.  Here it is:

 Granted this isn't the greatest shot in the world (the lighting in restaurants in general is suckage and often pics come out crappy-looking), but am I crazy or is this not the most un-exciting dish you've ever seen?  I thought it was very plain and colourless.  I had thought that perhaps there would be cheese and/or sauce ON TOP of the burrito, or something to bring a little life and colour to the dish.  There was not.

The flavour of the dish was also very underwhelming.  Though there were onions & peppers in the filling, the innards of the burrito were poorly seasoned and bland.  It could have used something like a bunch of chili powder, or something flavourful.  Instead, there were the veggies, the chicken strips, the scrambled eggs, a tiny bit of cheese (this whole dish needed way more cheese in general!)  The salsa on the side was a great help; I just wished there was salsa or something inside the burrito.  The corn & avocado salsa was just OK - I'm not a fan of corn off the cob.  But even the salsa didn't have enough kick to it and the sour cream was pretty useless.

I must also say that this is the second or third time I've had these newfandangled red nugget "smashbrowns."  They are not very good!  In fact, they are very boring!  I would much, much rather have had a traditional hashbrown.

So, this was a disappointing meal.  And I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed.  Usually, White Spot is a sure bet - which is why I keep going there - but taking the risk this time and having something new just didn't pay off.  I'll be back to Eggs Benny or a burger the next time I go for brunch.

BTW, my roommate T had the chipotle chicken wrap and she really enjoyed it.  It's one of her faves.  Here it is:


I kept wishing during my meal that I'd ordered the same!

1 comment:

Marketing Manager said...

Hello.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your White Spot experience. We're happy to hear that White Spot is on your 'go-to' list of places. Thank-you for choosing to dine with us regularly.

We're disappointed to hear that on your last visit we didn't meet your expectations. Creating memorable experiences is what we're all about, and that includes offering great tasting, quality menu items at great value.

Our new Smashbrowns have been receiving rave reviews, however we know that many guests continue to prefer our shredded hashbrowns which is why they are still available for breakfast upon request.

We appreciate your review of our new breakfast burrito and agree that our menu description doesn't match the photo you've posted. The ingredients listed within our menu description should have been present in your order - which would have made a better taste experience and overall appearance.

We value guest feedback as it helps us identify areas for improvement. Could you please email us (feedback@whitespot.ca) the specific location visited so we can follow up with our restaurant?

Thank you again - We hope to serve you again soon.

Kristy Eirikson
Manager, Marketing & Menu Development

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin