Sunday, January 30, 2011

AeroGarden Herb Usage #1

My AeroGardens continue to pay off and today I harvested some herbs and made a dish I've been craving for a while.

I have a TON of dill ready to pick, I just need to feel inspired to use it. The mint and the basil, however, was another story. I have no idea what brought on a craving for Asian salad rolls, but a craving I did have and as soon as the mint was big enough I was in business. Mint goes for $1.99 for a small package, and fresh basil is the same. The herbs were delicious!

My salad rolls contained both mint and basil, and also lettuce from my lettuce garden. Also in there was rice vermicelli and shrimp. The sauce I used was the Vietnamese-Must Have Table Sauce (AKA nuoc cham) from Hot Sour Salty Sweet. This is an awesome sauce: fresh and zingy and it went perfectly with the salad rolls. The original recipe contains a bird chile, but I A) don't have access to such a thing and B) don't like spicy.

Vietnamese-Must Have Table Sauce (page 28 of Hot Sour Salty Sweet by Jeffry Alford & Naomi Duguid)

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Thai fish sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tsp rice or cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 small clove garlic, minced

Combine!

Awesomeness! Go AeroGardens!

3 comments:

Tia said...

I want one of these aerogardens. now reading your post makes me want one even more!

DEZMOND said...

ah, yes, dill isn't an easy herb to use :) You could use it to make a sauce

Come Grow With Us said...

I was looking for a new recipe Thai spring rolls; these look delicious! So I'm glad I found your blog. I was at the first e AeroGrow Worldwide corporate meeting last Saturday ( I love my gardens so much I jumped at the chance to be a distributor when they opened up this opportunity) ---did you know one AeroGarden will produce $150.00 worth of basil in 17 weeks?

Now we can simply share our enjoyment of this awesome kitchen helper with a few friends and have our own gardens pay for themselves... Or do a little tweeting and blogging and sharing online and make some serious money. If you'd like some information, shoot me an email to aerogardenguru@gmail.com and I'll let you know what's cookin'!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin