Monday, October 25, 2010

Magazine Monday #69: Sesame Chicken with Snow Peas - and Hostessing Duties

Thanks to my mom, I now have a subscription to Food Network Magazine! I love it!

After a series of heavy meals around Thanksgiving, I craved something lighter. I found a deal on snow peas at LOGS, and after a cross border shopping trip a few weeks ago, I finally had some chicken breasts on hand. And I found a recipe for this meal, which is actually supposed to be a healthier version a take-out dish, nutritionized by Ellie Krieger. I actually adapted the recipe to suit me more, leaving out the chili paste and doing this as a stir fry instead of steaming the snow peas separately. It was a tad bland, however. I love the idea of this recipe but next time I'll have to up the flavour a bit to make it pop a bit more.

The recipe is here.

This week I am also hosting Magazine Monday in order to help my good buddy Creampuff out, so here is a run-down of the other magazine recipes that were submitted by busy foodies intent on getting through their piles of magazine clippings!

Lynn of I'll Have What She's Having made Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce from Gourmet Quick Kitchen.

Lorie of A Savory Nest made
Roasted Winter Vegetables with Feta from the March 2010 edition of Food & Wine.

Sue of Couscous & Consciousness made Fig & Blue Cheese Wontons from Dish Magazine's spring 2004 issue.

The awesome Heather of Girlichef made two things: Currywurst Sauce from Saveur and Bacon & Four Cheese Mac from the Oct. 2010 issue of Family Circle.

Jamie of Life's a Feast made a beautiful French Apple Flognarde (AKA a clafoutis) from Saveurs' Sept./Oct. edition.

Ranjani of Four Seasons of Food made Peanut Butter & Banana Bread from Cooking Light's Oct. 2010 issue.

Jan over at Kitchen Heals Soul made Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna from the Jan. 1998 issue of Food & Wine Magazine.

Thanks for entering, everyone!

Edit @ 9:15pm: We have a late addition! Melissa of It's the Way She... made Rustic Spinach & Cornmeal Soup from this month's Bon Appetit.

11 comments:

Ranjani said...

Thanks for hosting! After seeing your post, I'm thinking of doing a stirfry for dinner tonight...

tamilyn said...

I love the steam coming off the plate! You know it is fresh :)

Heather S-G said...

Everything sounds fabulous...but I'm totally coveting that sesame chicken...wish I had some!

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having said...

That chicken looks awesome! Thanks for hosting!

Tina said...

Nice - a magazine subscriotion is always a welcome thing!

You had great turnout for magazine monday. I will be participating next week....trying to catch up from my vacation. And get motivated again.

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks for commenting everyone, and thanks to all who participated this week!

savory nest said...

Thanks for hosting! All such great dishes... more to add to my pile:)

Chris said...

Great shot of the steam coming off of the bowl, perfect!

Jamie said...

Yay! Wonderful roundup and recipes and some I most definitely want to try! And thanks for hosting - and this also gave me the chance to meet you!!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Sesame chicken and snow peas sounds great, and I think this kind of recipe leaves plenty of room for you to reinterpret or tweek it up a bit to suit your tastes.
Sue :-)

creampuff said...

Thank you for hosting!!! You're awesome!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin