Monday, December 07, 2009

101 Uses for a Roast Chicken #23: Cream of Chicken & Caramelized Onion Soup

I don't know exactly what inspired this recipe, although I'd been seeing some great chicken soup recipes on other blogs, and I for some reason this combination came to me. For the stock, I used, of course, one of my many chicken carcasses. It's a really simple soup to put together.

Cream of Chicken & Caramelized Onion Soup

2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 cup chicken from a roasted chicken
1 cup half & half (10%) cream
2 tsp flour
1/2 tsp ground sage
4 onions, thinly sliced & caramelized (for easy directions, see this post)
salt & pepper to taste

Bring the stock to a boil & add the chicken & sage. Whisk together the flour and cream & add to the soup. Add the onions & season. Simmer until thickened. Serve.

This was...okay...I'm not sure how I feel about it now. I ate it all, for sure, but I'm not sure I'd make this again. It was kind of a strange combination. It definitely tasted better the next day when the flavours had a chance to mellow a bit. I don't know. I wasn't super stoked on it. What do you think of the idea?

12 comments:

Palidor said...

I think it's a great idea! I really like cream-based soups. Too bad it was just "okay" because it certainly looks yummy.

Bob said...

I love the idea, it's a bummer that it didn't thrill you. Maybe a little tarragon or rosemary would help?

Future Grown-Up said...

It looks gorgeous. Love the idea...sorry you didn't enjoy it more. You definitely had me at the carmelized onions part. I might try this myself but with some garlic in it.

Lea Ann said...

Well your inspiration and imagination came up with a great idea. YUM

monicajane said...

I'm surprised it was just okay...it sounds awesome to me...simplicity is often my the keystone of my favorite foods...I may try something similar...in spite of your less than rave reviews...sorry you didn't love it!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

What do i think... Well, you probably want a better cook than me, but my thought is toasted bread cubes and it is perfect... maybe even (if it gets reduced down a little or thickened up a little) a presentation soup served in a bread bowl.

The ingredients sound really tasty. It could be you just need a little more... texture

Chris said...

It looks like it would work on paper, but sometimes those things just don't pan out. I've had several dishes that I THOUGHT were going to be good, turn out bland opr whatever.

Reeni said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! Creamy and with the yummy flavors of the onions, mmmm!!

Kim said...

The sound of this recipe really gets my attention. I love caramelized onions and also love creamy chicken soups. Maybe it needs potato or something else, not sure. It sounds delicious to me!

Tia said...

for the short # of ingredients and time, i'd say, this rox my sox!

Tina said...

All of your recipes have been…well, perfect. I would try this one but it may be too creamy. Sometimes I make soup the evening before we need it and the flavors blend well. Like chili or stew is always better the second day.

Dewi said...

Love a bowl of comforting soup on a chilly day like to night.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin