Tuesday, September 08, 2009

101 Uses for a Roast Chicken #19: Chicken & Ramen Salad

My mom used to make this great salad with cabbage, ramen noodles, some kind of nut, and a few other things. Alas, I no longer have the recipe. And I for some reason have had this salad on my mind lately... So, I decided to make my own version using some roast chicken, veggies, and a dressing I whipped out of my you-know-what based on what I remember of my mom's recipe. Here's what I did.

Chicken & Ramen Salad

1 package ramen noodles,
1 cup roast chicken
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup carrots cut into matchsticks
1 can miniature corn, sliced lengthwise, then in half

For the dressing:

seasoning packet from the noodles
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sace
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice vinegar

1. Break the noodles up into small-ish chunks & run under hot water for a few minutes. You want them soft, but still retaining a bit of crunch.

2. Combine salad ingredients in a bowl & toss.

3. To make dressing, whisk ingredients together. Add to ramen mixture & toss.

4. Enjoy!

It was very good! Not as good as my mom's, but still very good. Vary the veggies if you want - this is what I had in my pantry.

On another note, Dave of My Year on the Grill is having a giveaway! Go here for details on how to win a copy of Steve Raichlen's How to Grill.

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great way to use roast chicken! Delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Tia said...

i love this series of "uses for a roast chicken". it's great!

Palidor said...

How interesting! I've never tried ramen noodle in salad. I used to love ramen noodles until I found out they were deep-fried. Now I try to buy fresh ones whenever I trek out to an Asian market in Toronto.

Heather S-G said...

This is a delicious salad! My grandma makes a ramen salad...but different. I love this...great meal :D yum.

Dewi said...

What a clever idea. I like it.

Tina said...

What type Ramen did you use? Chicken flavor or plain or??
Seriously, you may put Nigella to shame! Great recipe. It's nice to recreate childhood favs.

Reeni said...

This is so unique! It looks delicious!

Bob said...

What a great way to use ramen, I never would have thought to only soften them. I bet that's wicked good.

Anonymous said...

That looks great! Some people think ramen is kinda ghetto, but I don't give a crap cause I like it, especially with recipes like yours.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin