Thursday, July 30, 2009

Corn Update

Ok, so yesterday I went to a local fruit stand with my dad in Castlegar. The produce there comes from all over the place in BC, and there was a whole bunch of corn there labeled as "peaches & cream" from Chilliwack, which is in the Fraser Valley (about a day's drive east of here). It was 99cents/cob. While I think that's an outrageous price for corn, I was drawn by the "peaches & cream" claim and purchased two.

At home, I husked the corn and got this:WTF?

The top cob is indeed peaches & cream, but the bottom cob is most certainly not.

After cooking, I slathered my corn in leftover feta butter from the other night, and...

The peaches & cream was tough and absolutely flavourless. It was sooooooo disappointing.

The non-peaches & cream tasted sweeter and was much more tender, but it was still not much better than the corn from the previous night.

Well, that concludes my corn experimentation for this summer. It's either a shitty year for corn in the west, or I was just too spoiled out east.

11 comments:

NKP said...

Corn hasn't come in full force here yet. Our summer has been fairly mild.
I am looking forward to it, we do get some good corn here and fortunately I am close enough to cornfields that I can go straight to the farmers for it.

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm guessing some of the yellow corn got mixed in with the P&C corn. Too bad your experiment didn't turn out better. I laughed out loud with your WTF comment.I had some white corn that was pretty good recently. My SIL always puts a tablespoon of sugar in the boiling water for her COBS.

Bob said...

That peaches and cream one looks old too, it's all mashed up on the one side. There's still fall though, the year isn't a complete washout! Yet...

Woot for brisket! Just remember, it wants long, slow cooking or else it will be tough.

Wandering Coyote said...

Bob: how long & how slow?

Reeni said...

The peaches and cream sounds so promising! Sorry it wasn't good. At least you had one good piece to console yourself with - and feta butter! MMMM.

Tia said...

aww... too bad it looks so much better than it tasted. i haven't had any corn this year. must remind myself to get some!

Shar said...

MOH calls it "Cow Fodder" We don't have much luck with corn either and it's grown all around us. It's very hit & miss, but mostly miss. Really enjoyed WTF! Thank-you for an excellent site.

Wandering Coyote said...

Shar: welcome! What's "MOR"? Cow fodder, indeed. That's all this was good for!

Shar said...

"MOH" my other half. I could call him something else but it wouldn't be printable, hehe! Just kidding!

Tina said...

That is truely disappointing. With a name like peaches and cream....I'd definately expect more.

Heather S-G said...

What a bummer :( But it sounds pretty awesome w/ that butter!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin