Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Black Forest Pie

If you aren't a reader of Pierce's blog, Life in the Slow Lane at Squirrel Head Manor, I suggest you become one! She recently posted a recipe for Black Forest Pie, and when I saw it, I knew I had to make it. Luckily, my brother Jem had a birthday coming up, and he always requests Black Forest cake, his favourite. Since we were camping, the pie was much more easily transportable. I made it the day before we left, and bought a can of whipping cream to top the pie at the birthday meal.

The recipe is here.

I made a few changes to the recipe. For one thing, I used a graham cracker crust because I wasn't in the mood to roll out pastry dough in the heat. It turned out beautifully. I also used a full 19oz can of pie filling and topped the pie with fresh cherries, which are just coming into season here.

The pie was super easy to make and had a fabulous texture: somewhere between a chocolate pudding and a brownie. And it was a HUGE hit with my family!
So, thank you Pierce for the great recipe! This one is a keeper for sure!

12 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

This could quickly become a favourite at our house! I love love LOVE chocolate and cherries together :) Thanks for another great recipe!

Denise said...

Yes, this looks awesome. Love the extra high whipped cream!

Donna-FFW said...

I saw this and thought how delicious it looked.. Yours looks wonderful also. That combo cant be beat.

Bob said...

That looks wicked good. I think I would also do a graham cracker crust with that kind of filling, I think it would be awesome.

Dewi said...

Gosh, this is delicious pie. I love black forest cake, I am sure I'll like this too.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a scrumptious pie! It looks soooo good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Coleens Recipes said...

Oh man, that looks good!

Cathy said...

Damn - that just shot to the top of my to try list. I am a huge fan of black forest cake - I request it every year for my birthday if I know I am not getting lemon pie. I'm in.

Tina said...

Awwww...thank you for the shout out. That means so much! I'm glad your pie came out well. Never thought of using the graham cracker crust but will definately try it.

Off to look at your camping photos now.....

Reeni said...

This looks sinfully delicious! Especially with cherries - love the combo.

Heather S-G said...

OH.MY.GARSH. This is gorgeous! I remember seeing that recipe and thinking it sounded great...still does! Drooling over these photos :P

Anonymous said...

This is a combination that is worth begging for. It looks good and I know it has to taste equally as good. This could take me off a diet, easily.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin