Monday, March 16, 2009

Magazine Monday #32: Fish & Rice

Today's MM recipe comes from the March/April issue of Clean Eating Magazine, where there is a segment on fast, five-ingredient meals. This simple fish and rice dish caught my fancy because of its simplicity, and though the original recipe calls for tilapia, I can't seem to find any around here these days, so I substituted basa. I am liking basa; it was on sale at the local overpriced grocery store last week, and it really has great flavour. I also didn't use brown rice, but the last bit of basmati I had on hand.

Tilapia with Soy Sauce & Pineapple Scallion Rice

1 cup brown rice
4 x 6oz tilapia fillets - or basa fillets
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 8oz can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
6 scallions/green onions, sliced
salt & pepper to taste

1. Cook rice.

2. Meanwhile, place fish in a baking dish either lined with foil or sprayed with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce with 3 tbsp of pineapple juice, then pour over the fish. Season with salt & pepper if desired (I did not so desire). Bake at 450F for 15 - 20 minutes.

3. In a skillet with a tad bit of oil or some cooking spray, saute the scallions/green onions for about 2 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks and cook for a minute. Fold into cooked rice.

4. Serve fish with rice, pouring any remaning pan juices over the top.

I really enjoyed this dish and would definitely make it again!

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's always a very pleasant and healthy meal!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

NICE!A meal with 5 ingredients. I love it, and tilapia is one of my favorites. PERFECT choice!! Ill have to check out magazine Mondays.

Cathy said...

I keep thinking I want to buy this magazine...I'll definitely have to give it a try - that looks amazing!

Tina said...

Finally a way to enjoy tilapia in our house. We don't have basa here. Tilapia is a bland sort of fish but you gave it a punch! Never thought about scallion and pineapple.

Do you ever make foil packets with the fish. Put the toppings on fish and close up the foil. Minimal cleanup and it cooks in 20 minutes.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Looks great.

Coleens Recipes said...

Sorry about contacting you like this, but you left a question about my chocolate cheesecake recipe. The box of pre-melted chocolate says that each packet equals 1 ounce of bakers chocolate, but I'm not sure if it would change the consistency of the final product.

Debbie said...

Looks yummy. I have so much tilapia I got from Costco and I'm running out of ideas on what to do with it. I'll have to try this one. Is it really sweet?

Wandering Coyote said...

Pierce: yes, I used to make foil packet fish all the time. I haven't done it much lately, mainly because I'm not eating as much fish (it's expensive where I am).

Colleen: This is the perfect way to contact me! Thanks for the info!

Debbie: No, this isn't sweet at all. It's balanced just right. But, you can always adjust the pineapple juice/soy sauce ratio to your tastes.

tshsmom said...

I have a chicken recipe that's very similar to this. I'll have to try it out on fish sometime.

Elyse said...

Tilapia is such a wonderfully versatile fish. It's perfect for a soy sauce matchup, and that rice sounds soooo good! What a great recipe. Yay for magazine Monday!

creampuff said...

Sorry I missed linking to this last week! I love tilapia ... have to pick up that copy of Clean Eating!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin