Thursday, March 26, 2009

101 Uses for a Roast Chicken #15: Chicken & Olive Ravioli

This is the second dish I made on the weekend with the chicken I wrote about in yesterday's post. It's a variation on Giada de Laurentiis's Ravioli Caprese, which I blogged about here. I like this method of making the ravioli dough: it's easy, quick, and involves two whole ingredients - flour and water. Oh, I have a pasta maker and a ravioli press, but this is just as good. For the dough and for the directions on how to form the ravioli, follow the instructions in the original recipe here.

For the filling, the following is what I used. I put olives in because I had some kicking around from a dish I made a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to use them up.

Chicken & Olive Ravioli Filling

3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
12 - 15 kalamata olives, pitted & finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped chicken from a roast chicken
2 tsp dried basil (or fresh)
1 egg
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Fill ravioli as directed in the recipe.

I served this with some left over sauce from my Eggs in Purgatory meal. It was really good ravioli, and made enough for three meals. I put the left over ravioli in the freezer for future meals.

Bon appetit!

11 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I've wanted to make my first ravioli for quite a while, but I've always come up with excuses (no pasta press, or ravioli makers). But you've encouraged me, I think I'll try. Thanks

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Another great chicken recipe! They look perfect!

cheers,

Rosa

Cathy said...

I usually use won ton wrappers, but that looks pretty easy to do. I may have to try (no olive filling though...it's the one food I don't like).

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a wonderful reinvention of leftover or precooked chicken...what a time saver!!

Elyse said...

I love the combination of the olives, garlic, and ricotta in the filling!! What a great complement to the chicken. I'm sure these ravoli are totally fabulous. Ravoli is one of my favorite ways to consume pasta. MMMM, I may just have to make these--especially because you've convinced me that making the pasta won't be so difficult!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This is so great, making your ravioli. Maybe someday I'll try.

Tina said...

Your chicken series rocks. This looks great. Would have to leave the olives out for my guys though....well, for my son anyway.

Hey, could you recommend a one of Giada's cookbooks? I browse in Borders or Barnes and Noble and just get lost with all the cookbooks. But I was going to check out a Giada cookbook.

Van Santos said...

WOW.

Most people don't understand how hard it can be to make their own ravioli. So, nice work.

My family owned a deli for roughly 50 years, the pasta/dough based items were always the most time consuming.

I'm very impressed, WC!

Donna-FFW said...

I have never made my own ravioli .. you make it sound easy.. I have to try it. I love your choice of filling!

Sara said...

Your ravioli look great! I haven't made ravioli in a long time, I need to pull out my pasta maker and get to work!

tamilyn said...

That looks really good. I have never thought of making my own pasta before. I'd leave out the olives too-or at least the ones for me, the hubs would love them in.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin