Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thumbprint Cookies

A continuation of the Christmas baking chronicles...

One of the varieties of Hershey's Kisses I saw while cross-border shopping the other week had New York cheesecake centres, and I knew when I saw them that I had to have them! I decided to put them in the centre of these cookies, the recipe for which came from my Essential Baking Book., one of the cookbooks I'm trying to force to pull its weight before it gets turfed, as mentioned here. I love the addition of custard powder; it gave the cookies such great flavour. Originally, the recipe calls for the centres to be jam-filled, but this is just as yummy.

Thumbprint Cookies

5 1/2 oz butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups self-raising flour
2/3 cup custard powder (I used Bird's)
Hershey's Kisses

Cream, sift, blend, scoop. Make an indentation with the back of a measuring spoon. Bake at 350F for 12 - 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. While still warm, place a Hershey's Kiss in the indentation. Makes about 3 dozen with a #70 cookie scoop or TBSP-full of dough.

There was a bit of a learning curve with this recipe. With the Hugs & Kisses recipe from Friday, the cookies came out of the oven soft enough to indent, but with this recipe, the cookie came out too crisp to do that, so it's important to indent the cookie before baking it.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I love Thumbprint cookies! My mom makes these every Christmas!

Elizabeth said...

Those look great! And dangerous if they were at my house... :)

Judith said...

Is the butter measured by weight or by volume?Judith.

Wandering Coyote said...

Mom, it's in weight, unfortunately - it's an Australian cookbook.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin