Monday, December 08, 2008

Magazine Monday #19: Chocolate Toffee Squares

This week's Magazine Monday contribution comes from the December 2008 issue of, what else, Canadian Living.

These squares do require some special equipment: the parchment paper is a must, but it's cheap and readily available, has many uses, and in some cases is even reusable; also, you'll need either a candy thermometer or a digital food thermometer to make the toffee layer. These bars are so decadent I could barely keep my hands off them, but I was disappointed that they didn't quite turn out like the ones in the picture! Ah well.

The recipe is here.




I used Nilla wafers and crushed them in a ziplock bag with swift, callous whacks from my rolling pin. It was fun.







The toffee layer was easy to make despite the fact that you need the thermometer. You essentially just melt the ingredients all together, and allow them to burble away on the stove for a bit until nice and caramel-y. I could happily have eaten this right out of the pot as it was.






I have no idea what the "thread" stage is that the recipe refers to, so I just simmered the mixture until it reached the specified temperature (I'm high altitude, so I boiled it to 112C). The mixture got nice toffee-ish flecks in it.





My ganache didn't set very well, despite being in the freezer for a while, but I hope that it will firm up after a longer sit. The toffee layer set very nicely and the entire package tasted out of this world!




As I mentioned in my last MM post, I'll be hosting MM for the month of December while Ivonne is away. If you have a magazine recipe you've made that you'd like to contribute, let me know and I'll link to you!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those squares are "dirty" (understand mighty scrumptious!)! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

These look sinful! YUM!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

"callous whacks from my rolling pin" Sounds kinky. ;)

Judith said...

I made the Ginger White Chocolate Hermits from the Canadian Living cookbook you sent me. They don't look too fancy but they taste great!I'm taking them to Grandma's later this week as she loves ginger and apricots. Also have made 6 Dundee Cakes from this year's Canadian Living Christmas baking book. I'm giving 5 of the cakes away as gifts. What would we do without CL?I'm enjoying your baking bonanza!Judith.

Thistlemoon said...

Oh wow, those look sinfully delicious!

Elizabeth said...

That looks so good (even if it didn't set properly - I would have never noticed)! Toffee is so yummy! :)

Cakespy said...

Dammit those look good. They vaguely look like Millionaire's shortbread but it sounds like they'd taste a little different. I'd eat 'em.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin