Monday, November 17, 2008

Magazine Monday #16: Unstuffed Sweet & Sour Cabbage

I know this is going to sound strange, but one of my favourite vegetables is...wait for it...cabbage. I am not kidding. I put it in soup a lot since it freezes well, I put it in stirfrys, and I often slice it thinly and steam it as a side dish, served with a spot of butter and some salt & pepper. Yeah, it makes you emit gaseous clouds, but I don't care about that. Cabbage is also cheap, and the combination of the arrival of the November 2008 issue of Gourmet and a sale on cabbage at my local overpriced grocery store (33 cents/lb) inspired me to make this week's Magazine Monday contribution.

The recipe can be found here.

I was a little skeptical of this recipe at first, because it seemed to contain some odd pairings: red wine vinegar, cranberries, brown sugar. But, as I tasted the sauce, I was impressed at the bright, bold flavours. This was a great meal, very hearty and reminiscent of cabbage rolls, something I love (my mom's were the best). It's also a really economical meal, and now I have leftovers for most of this week. You can't go wrong with that.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cabbage dish looks wonderful! I love the idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

This looks very similar to a unstuffed cabbage dish I make. I am excited to try this version!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Years ago I made unstuffed cabbage and loved it. Never made it again because my husband does not like it. Looks so yummy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin