Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cheddar & Dill Biscuits

I had a very busy day at work on Monday. We were a bit behind with the coffee shop baking, so I made a huge recipe of Morning Glory Muffins, a carrot cake (for the residents' dessert), and these wonderful biscuits, which are apparently very popular. They smelled divine!


5 cups flour
6 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp dried dill weed
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 3/4 cups milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until mealy. Stir in the milk to create a sticky dough. Tip onto work surface and knead gently a few times to get a nice dough. Roll out to about 1" and cut as desired. Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.

For our purposes, we double this recipe and get approximately 1.5 dozen large biscuits out of it. If you're not a fan of dill, feel free to use another herb you do like, and vary the cheese.

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful! Those biscuits look incredibly good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meg said...

Look how big and fluffy those biscuits are! Amazing!

Joanna said...

those look delicious!! they remind me of the cheddar biscuits at red lobster. have you had those before? my dad would take my little sister and i there all the time after school. he would tell us to wrap the extra biscuits and put them in our bookbags for later. haha

i'm excited you found the muffin tin!!! you will never go back to using an ordinary muffin tin after you have one of the cone-shaped ones.

Emily Rose said...

these sound delicious!! I love the combination of cheddar and dill- when I was little I ate sharp cheddar and dill pickles on wheat bread for lunch every day! All the other kids thought it was strange but there is something about that sour dill flavor and cheddar that still makes my mouth water. I'm also so impressed with how tall and fluffy the biscuits are!

The Bitchy Waiter said...

I made these biscuits last night and it was a disaster! They were hard and dry and would not brown. I bake a lot and I think the flour amount maybe wrong. I have compared to other biscuit recipes and it seems to be way too much. Also, it never states when you add the cheese to the dough. Did you just post the wrong flour amount by mistake?

Wandering Coyote said...

Darron: sorry you didn't have a good experience with this recipe. The flour amount is right and you add the dill & cheese to the flour mixture before adding the butter. I make these regularly at work and they always turn out. The dough is very stiff and does require some kneading for it to come together. If it's too dry for you, you can add some milk or 10% cream to make a stickier dough. This is a commercial recipe, so it is a bigger amount of flour and dough to deal with. You could try halving it and see what happens.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin