Friday, November 28, 2008

101 Uses for a Roast Chicken #11: Chicken, Veggie, and Barley Soup

Yes, another installment of everyone's (well, all five of you) favourite foodie series: the seemingly unending 101 Uses for a Roast Chicken. God, is this only #11?

OK, it's winter, it's cold (at least for some us), it's also cold season. In an attempt to use up some of my many frozen chicken carcasses, as well as incorporate some barley that I inherited when my brother moved across the country last summer, I decided to make this soup.

The stock was done, as usual, in my handy crock pot. Instructions here. To flavour this particular stock, I used:

1 lemon, quartered
1 bunch cilantro (just chuck it all in whole)
2 carrots
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 onion
salt & pepper to taste

I got about 10 cups of stock and around 2 cups of chicken meat from the bones. To make the soup, I once again let the stock sit in the fridge overnight so that the fat solidified and could be skimmed off when it came time to finish off the soup. I as the stock heated up I added:

1 chopped onion
2 chopped carrots
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1L jar home-canned tomatoes, these ones with the green peppers and garlic added to them
1 can mini-corn, sliced into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves freshly grated garlic
2/3 cup barley

Simmer until barley is soft.

As you can see, lots of garlic, lots of lemony goodness. So, not only is this soup comforting on a chilly winter's night, it's nourishing should you have what my good friend Karen refers to as the "snarflies."

Dear Karen: I do hope you're feeling better soon, and I wish I could send some soup to you in E-town! Alas...it doesn't mail well!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Awww, thanks babe! Sounds delicious and I bet it would zap my evil snarfly monster in the blink of an eye. I'm been in a soup mood lately...I'll have to try and make this although I'd omit the cilantro. Not-a-fan. Love this series though!

Meg said...

Yum! I love any soup with barley in it!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great idea! That soup looks terribly comforting and tasty!

Cheers,

Rosa

tshsmom said...

I never thought of making chicken barley soup. I always make beef barley. I'll have to try this sometime, minus the cilantro. I'm with Karen; cilantro just isn't my thing. :(

Tina said...

Oh, this is really good. We generally have homemade soup daily for lunch. This was a great change adding barley. Whne I get pictures up on my blog I'll let you know. Love your chicken series.

Wandering Coyote said...

Glad it was a hit, Pierce!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin