Thursday, September 18, 2008

"What To Do With A..." #1

I'm going to start a new series here on the old food blog, entitled "What To Do With A..." [insert ingredient]. If you're like me and you have a decently stocked pantry, sometimes you end up with things you're not sure what to do with. I have a tin of smoked oysters kicking around that I'm not entirely sure how to use. Usually, I put them on crackers with cream cheese, but I want to be more creative than that!

In today's inaugural installment, a typical, common pantry item will be used: a can of tuna. Also, you may have a can of white beans hovering in the margins of your cupboards. This recipe uses both, and I make it regularly at work. Since this recipe was procured from the internet and isn't a top secret concoction like borscht or the Russian lasagne, I feel it's OK to share it with you. Just don't tell my boss.

Tuna, Cannellini, and Tomato Salad (this is the shop's version and it makes a lot, so I would halve it if you're just making it at home)

2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans tuna packed in water, drained
4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup diced red onion

- mix these together in a large bowl

Dressing

2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp minced fresh basil or mint
4 tsp each red wine vinegar and lemon juice
2 tsp sugar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

- whisk together and gently mix into the tuna/bean/tomatoes. Marinate over night. Serve.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Looks good. Save me some!

Meg said...

Wonderful use of tuna! I think I would choose to use the basil!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love tuna, because it tastes good and it's really versatile! A wonderful way to use it!

cheers,

Rosa

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin