Sunday, August 03, 2008

Real Gingerbread

I know it's summer, but... I just had this craving for something autumnal, something warm and spicy. Since Magazine Monday is on hold until Ivonne gets back from holiday next month, I'll post this magazine recipe today instead.

I was recently gifted with a bunch of baking supplies from my brother and SIL, who are moving across the country at the end of this month. I took what I would normally use, and they had a lot of molasses they wanted to unload. While molasses isn't necessarily that expensive, these things add up, and I do like gingery-molassesy things. This recipe, from the March 2007 issue of Gourmet, uses fresh ginger, not the powdered kind. And it's great. The texture of this cake is wonderfully moist, and that is in part attributable to the hot water you add to the batter, so don't get all lazy and add cold water instead.

You could totally dress this up with some creme anglaise or some other reasonable immitation of a vanilla custard, or serve it warm with vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream.

I have gobbled down two chunks of this already today, before it was even cooled. Um...I'm going to gift the rest of it, I think, to a convalescing family member.

The recipe can be found here.

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That Gingerbread looks very good! Something I really love...

Cheers,

Rosa

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

WC,

Can't believe I am just finding out that you have this blog. I LOVE to cook (no cooking school knowledge though just a lot of food network watching). I am gluten intolerant and allergic to peanuts so I have to alter most recipes but I am pretty good at it. So, yeah I am glad to know about this site and the food looks wonderful!

Take care,
Tamara

Wandering Coyote said...

Rosa: Thanks!

Tamara: Well, welcome to ReTorte! I hope you find some things here that you can make and enjoy. Are you celiac? I have one cake on here that is gluten free, the Whole Orange and Almond Cake, and I will try to find some other things that are gluten free as well. I know there are a lot of celiacs out there.

Cakespy said...

It looks and sounds perfect!! I love gingerbread but have never made it! This one sounds like it might be dangerous to have around though! Not that this has ever stopped me in the past.

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

WC,

Yes, I am celiac. The Whole Orange and Almond Cake looks wonderful. I have never cooked by weight so that will be a new experience. I will give it a try. I can usually change almost any recipe to gluten free even if it takes a couple of tries to get it right. It is a fun challenge.

Take care,
Tamara

Thistlemoon said...

I really love gingerbread! It is really yummy - and yours that is especially dark is my favorite!

Peabody said...

Gingerbread is a year round food...so is pumpkin, at least to me. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin