Saturday, August 02, 2008

Homemade Pizza

According to my brother, I make the best pizza. He'd even rather have mine than the stuff from the local, gourmet-ish pizza place two blocks away at Idgie's. Well, who am I to argue? This week, he requested pizza and yesterday I made two for a family dinner.

It was a bit of a team effort. I made the dough, caramelized the onions (recipes and method for these two items are here), and did the baking and assembly. My dad provided ground buffalo (he has a ton and wanted to get rid of some to free up room in his freezer), buffalo pepperoni from a local butcher, campari tomatoes for his portion of the pizzas (my brother and I hate tomatoes), and some sharp cheddar cheese to blend with the low-fat mozzarella I bought.

It's always advisable to saute down your veggies when making pizza because otherwise, they'll lose their liquid in the pizza-baking process, making for a watery pizza. Taking the time to caramelize the onions creates a great flavour contrast for your pizza: sweet with savoury. It's worth the work!

I love buffalo meat: it's lower in fat that regular beef, is more humanely kept, isn't full of hormones and other iffy chemicals, and it has a great, rich flavour. The buffalo pepperoni was wonderful, too, and not too spicey.

We finished off the meal with ice cream my dad brought. What could possibly be better, for someone like me, whose two favourite foods are pizza and ice cream? My brother was also in heaven - and both of us came home with left-over pizza; he'll take his for lunch today, and I plan on eating mine for breakfast.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nothing's better than homemade pizza! yours looks delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Looks great. Save me some will ya.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users.
I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit).
You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:
Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ).
Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin